Tuesday 29 May 2012

Historic Ludlow



One of my favourite things to do is to go where I've never been before, so last week I took a trip to Ludlow in Shropshire, somewhere I'd been meaning to visit for a long time. After a drive up through spectacular countryside, I reached my destination and headed into town for a mosey around and a catch up with an old friend.







The rest of the afternoon was spent chatting in a shady cobbled courtyard with cool refreshments and nibbles, before heading out for the night to gorge at the French Pantry where I feasted on duck and sauteed potato's, followed by apricot tart and ice cream. Yum.



Next morning we started the day with breakfast at De Greys Cafe, where I was encouraged by the staff to try a local speciality, a butter bun which is every bit as sinful as it looks and sounds.  Still, it soaked up some of the previous nights tipples.




Then we were off round town for a spot of shopping. I was charmed by all the cuteness in Goosey Goosey Gander a childrens gift shop, and in awe of the fabulous victorian shop fittings in Pickards Hardware. Black Bough had the most wonderful edit of design led gifts - I could have seriously taken home every item in the shop, but had already spent up so vowed to stop by their website in future.







Next up was more awe inspiring history and a trip round Ludlow castle. This Norman wonder is incredibly well preserved and had me gushing and cooing in amazement. Wow was very much the word of the day. Especially when we braved the climb to the roof and took in the views of the surrounding town and countryside.



After all that excitement, we took a picnic lunch down to the riverside to cool off. And no thats not me and my friend! I spotted these ladies in their blue outfits and sunhats and thought they so perfectly matched the masses of wild blue forget-me-nots growing on the hillside that I asked for a photo. Think they thought I was a little crazy.  

Good company, indulgent treats and a well timed heatwave made a few days feel like a proper holiday. If you fancy a short break I would recommend Ludlow for its beautiful architecture, shopping, walking and definitely eating.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...